Yes, it certainly can be used by hackers. It can be used to manipulate the
file system, upload files, execute exe's, and run database queries against
your datasources.

This file is most commonly found via the adminapi Hack widely exploited in
Dec/Jan 2012 (eg /CFIDE/h.cfm, etc), but I've also seen this particular
file on hacked servers sprinkled through the file system (eg 20-30
instances, using random file names). Also I've found in many cases that a
server had patched the adminapi issue and blocked /CFIDE/adminapi but never
cleaned up files that attackers placed, so they keep getting hit.

You will want to take a close look at the server, and consider moving to a
fresh server after you have cleaned up.

--
Pete Freitag - Adobe Community Professional
http://foundeo.com/ - ColdFusion Consulting & Products