Great advice, thanks.

I would want a little for the initial set up.  The merch I want would be fair I
think.

A monthly fee to cover hosting and the like would be fair.  What about a
percentage of sales?  I feel this would be appropriate as I would be motivated
to continue working on the site and do things like SEO and other promotion.  Is
this ethical and something others do?  If so, what is a reasonable percentage?

Thanks for the help!