Just to add a bit.

This is not limited to just CFimage. CF file functions and tags exhibit the
same behavior. Although, in my experience has been better with version 9+.

Seems like CF is a bit asynchronous with writing files. So a file write,
immediately followed by another file action like move or delete, will
sometimes fail.

I have done similar things like Russ mentioned to deal with the issue.
Usually, I will just leave the old file, and next time into the
function/process add a check for old files and remove them. Another option
is to write to a system temp directory that gets wiped on reboot. All
dependent on the requirement of course.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer & Architect
HostMySite.com