So what is the specific error? Is it in CF or Excel. If Excel are you getting
this message?
""The file you are trying to open, '[filename]', is in a different format than
specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is
from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file
now?"  (Yes | No | Help)"

If so there's a new security "feature" in Excel  According to this MSDN blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsofficedeveloper/archive/2008/03/11/excel-2007-extension-warning.aspx
"The alert is a new security feature in Excel 2007 called Extension Hardening,
which ensures that the file content being opened matches the extension type
specified in the shell command that is attempting to open the file. Because the
MIME types listed above are associated with the .XLS extension, the file must
be in XLS (BIFF8) file format to open without this warning prompt. "

The solution is to use the newer spreadsheet functions and upgrade to a more
recent version of CF  or Railo. This might be a good idea anyhow since CF8 is
being EOL'd by the end of the year.

These two sites offer some solutions if you cannot use the new Spreadsheet
functions in CF, however the solutions are not all that pretty.

http://devblog.grinn.net/2008/06/file-you-are-trying-to-open-is-in.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/940045/how-to-suppress-the-file-corrupt-warning-at-excel-download

hth,
larry