FR is indeed meant to run on a production server, and I was not saying
otherwise.
But you can also install it on dev to help you with the debugging and load
testing as well.

I think you are incorrectly assuming that FusionReactor is a debugging and
load testing tool, which is not the case. FR is basically a monitor app for
CF, it doesn't just fix stuff by itself, other than killing requests which
hang around too long.
to clarify by debugging I mean as in the cf debugger
by load testing I mean tools such as these
http://carehart.org/cf411/#loadtest