Cameron and Jon, thank you so much for your input. Jon, your breakdown of
uses is great. I do have a question though regarding the customization of
ContentBox. My biggest stumbling block with the use of a CMS is the
customized site functionality that I typically require being just managing
page content and blogs. As an example, adding a product catalog or
membership management. Can the ColdBox admin be modified to roll the
management of these area into a unified interface? I briefly looked at
SlatWall and it seemed like a separate administration just linked to from
within the ContentBox admin, not actually managed there. So there is
separate users for both admins. Is it possible to create extended
functionality like a product catalog, but have it use the ContentBox admin
and users as well?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Jon Clausen <jon_clau...@silowebworks.com>
wrote:

> I have and will continue to use both.  They are both great for what they
> provide, but what they provide is very different.  If I’m developing a
> basic site with maybe a few custom plugins for display on the front-end,
> Mura is my choice.  If I’m refactoring an existing application or need to
> develop an app with a great deal of customization, then ContentBox is my
> choices.
>
> ContentBox is a plugin for the Coldbox framework, and follows the module
> specifications for inheritance, which means you can extend or override just
> about anything in the core functionality if you need to and develop your
> own modules which extend its functionality.  Mura, for all effective
> purposes, *is* the framework, so you are limited by its conventions. A
> basic breakdown of where each shines:
>
> Mura:
> - Intuitive, clean admin interface
> - In-page editing on the front-end of the site. (clients love this feature
> to make quick edits or adjustments to individual pages)
> - Easy template system, structure and display view extensions
> - Easy page layout customization and content collection displays
> - Simple, if somewhat limited, plugin architecture
> - Regular releases and:
> - Self-updating (ContentBox doesn’t yet support this)
> - Multi-site capable out-of-the-box
>
> ContentBox:
> - Modularity and compatibility with just about anything you need to
> customize through Coldbox’s cascading file system and access to Wirebox.
> - Access to the full set of Coldbox features
> - Fast and getting faster - ContentBox isn’t yet updated to run on 4.0
> but, when it does, it should scream.  I find that, with caching enabled on
> both, ContentBox is a bit faster, though the system reserved memory
> required to run a medium to large ContentBox site is higher.
> - Nice admin dashboard
> - User management. I much prefer the roles/permissions administration and
> functionality of ContentBox to Mura
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jon

  [image: profile picture]  *Dean Lawrence*
*President*
Internet Data Technology
*Phone:* 888-438-4381 x701
*Web:* www.idatatech.com
*Email:* d...@idatatech.com
  Programming | Database | Consulting | Training