I've tried it that way but no dice, let show you what I have tried:

1) Exported the cert and imported into the Truststore (this should not have
been needed as it is a Thawte issued certificate which is already in the
trsutstore and lack of record in the truststore causes a different IO
error). This caused no change.

2) The live API is api.domain2.com initially this gave the error:

(note: real domain names replaced with "domain1" and "domain2")

I/O Exception: Name in certificate `api.domain1.net' does not match host
name `api.domain2.com'

So I added to the hosts:

xx.xxx.xxx.xxx          api.domain1.net

where xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the resolving IP address of api.domain2.com

restarted CF and called api.domain1.net in my CFHTTP request and this works
and I can connect to the live API when the time comes.

3) The dev API is (real domain names replaced with "domain1" and domain2)
prerelease-api.domain2.com initially this gave the error:

I/O Exception: Name in certificate `*.domain1.net' does not match host name
`prelease-api.domain2.com'

I tried adding to the hosts:

xx.xxx.xxx.xxx          prelease-api.domain1.net

where xx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the resolving IP address of prelease-api.domain2.com

restarted CF and called prelease-api.domain1.net in my CFHTTP request and I
get a 404 error, so I no longer get the IO error but I'm not hitting the
correct server/application

What Dave said.