How about this?

1. Initialize the value of each cell to null:
<cfloop from="1" to="168" index="iCell">
  <cfset tmp = SetVariable("cell#iCell#", "")>
</cfloop>

2. Do one query to get all events.

3. Loop through the events.  For each event, determine what cell it
belongs in, and update the value of that cell.

4. Build the table in a loop, putting the value #cell#iCell# into each
cell.

-David