I view the merger as a way for macromedia to fill a void. They don't really
have an application server in the mix. I was looking forward to CF5, I was
also looking forward to Harpoon.

The user interface part of the web I believe needs to change a little. More
functional for deploying Internet based applications, quicker development
time etc.

I have been watching both Allaire and Macromedia for a little while as my
"pet" Internet companies. So it is kind of neat to see them officially get
into bed. And I see the synergy that it brings to the mix. I saw a void at
Macromedia, and tons of complementary software and tools.

I have been close to making an official (whatever that means) declaration of
focusing on cf (ASP) and HTML/Flash for user interface. There is residual
learning that transfers to other technologies, but I think for a small time
(2 bit) developer it is better to focus on a smaller world of the big
picture. But you have to be cognizant of other approaches, and be willing to
switch gears when appropriate.

What does that mean to us developers? CF may go up in price. Overall the
suite is better, and I think cf development will still be exciting. There
may be fundamental changes in thinking and strategy, but I think the Allaire
vision, the new Macromedia vision and our developer vision are not unlike.
We are not stepping down the road into a trap, they have legitimate product
offering and commitment to provide tools for us to develop, now and into the
future.

I watch specific people on this list for their opinions and their visions.
They shape in part how I think. I am interested in Dave Watts and Lewis
Sellers and how they feel we should place our forward looking technology
commitments.

I am sold on Macromedia/Allaire, but that damn -min keeps saying stuff that
makes me think I gotta learn more before diving in. And this might mean
fundamental changes to how I develop, and the tools I use.

Somewhere in this commentary I am crying out for someone to tell me what I
want to hear in the language I understand. Short Term: what do I develop in.
Medium Term: What will I develop in. Long Term: What will I develop in. How
do I create a career path that supports my movement through these stages?
How do I best focus my learning to be in the best position possible to take
advantage of my next step environment. What are the trade offs as I move
through my career development.

These are my choices:
Today. I develop for CF4.5.2 with a very interested ear to the ground for
cf5. Move to 5 as soon as it is available. Develop primarily HTML based
interfaces,  but use javascript, dhtml, and flash to enhance the user
experience where quick to develop, and high impact on the user interface.
have an ear to the ground for the rise flash as a tool to design user
interfaces. Place a high importance on the abstraction between the
application and the interface. Ear to the ground, and some practical
implementation, creating as many real world interfaces to developed
applications, concentrating on vxml, xml, js, wml, excel, rtf, and pdf.

Watch competitive tools. For application servers in order of preference.
1.) Zope 2.) ASP 3.) PHP

Tomorrow. ?
Next Year. ?

Eric out.

From: "Adrian Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Raymond B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > Exactly, I have sharp reservations about the way Macromedia may take  >
Flash is all fine for sites who's content needs only to reach a small group
 > of people in a glitsy manner; but is a step in a wrong direction to web
 > content. Content and display are mixed to a very high degree (though the
CF
 > FlashUI toolkit might change this a bit), it's not very cross platform
 > friendly, and most importantly it's a proprietary technology (client side
 > being the concerning part) leveraged at a specific market.

You obviously associate MM with Flash  - I associate them with UltraDev.

My guess is that the main rationale behind this merger is for productivity
site
development, and with the future ASP (as in Application Service Provider)
market
on the Internet in mind - much of which will be database driven - and not to
make wiz bang frontends to home pages.

Adrian Cooper.