Martin,

It strikes me as very strange that you would be getting a 404 error based on
whether or not you ask for a variable value.  (I'm sure it strikes you as
strange, too!)  It seems to me that it ought to be throwing a "variable not
defined" sort of error.  How could the CFOUTPUT statement possibly "know"
that you are calling on a variable that you defined in the Application.cfm?
It would have to "know" that in order to request the page and result in a
404.

What is the rest of the code on this page?  On the output page, I would
comment out everything but the HTML headers and the bit of code you listed
below.  I would also comment out everything but what's below for the
Application.cfm.  Then see what happens.  If that doesn't work, keep
commenting stuff out until it does work.  I'd temporarily replace the
DateFormat and TimeFormat functions with simple values.  I'd comment out all
the CGI variable references.  Hopefully you'll be able to pinpoint exactly
what line is doing it.  Once you see the line, I'll bet that the answer
comes more easily.

Good luck,
Matthieu