Robert,

How about this: When you point to this popup window from your site, append a
variable in the query string (e.g., ?ProperlyLaunched=True).  Then the popup
window checks for this variable.  If it doesn't exist, use JavaScript to go
back one page.

If you are worried that users would hack in by figuring this out and
appending the string, you could do a complicated and ugly scheme that I'm
not even sure will work.  :)  From the web site, use this to launch a window
we'll call W1:

window.open(FileName,'W1',{OTHER PROPERTIES})

On W1, automatically open your pop-up window called W2:

window.open(FileName,'W2',{OTHER PROPERTIES})

On W2, check to see if W1 is open.  (I don't know how to do this, or if it's
possible.)  If it is, close W2 and launch your video player.  If it is not,
open W1 using the first line of code above and then go back one page.  This
should force the little cycle to start.

Does this make any sense?  I've eaten about forty clementines so far this
morning.  I think they are turning my brain orange.

Hope this helps,
Matthieu