Sounds like a game show :-)

Advance security:
 Use advanced ticked.

Security context for PS_Private (as ref. in cfauthticate tag)
 Enable security for user objects ticked, nothing else
 user dirs:
        userlist (defined as winnt, location = <name of domain>
 rules:
        Display (type userobject, objectname = Display, action=execute)
 policy:
        default:
         rules: Display
         users: tchiverton (which is who I'm logged in as) from UserList

Snip of Application.cfm

        <cfauthenticate securitycontext="PS_Private"
                                username="#username#"
                                password="#pass#"
                                setcookie="yes">

Snip of file I'm trying to use protection in:
<cfoutput>
Auth1: #IsAuthenticated()#
Auth2a: #IsProtected("UserObject","display","execute")#
Auth2: <cfif
IsAuthorized("UserObject","display","execute")>YES<cfelse>NO</cfif>
</cfoutput>

Which gives
Auth1: YES Auth2a: NO Auth2: YES

Maybe I've stared at this for too long... :-/