From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 11:15 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: directory setup

(this email was sent to the list twice last week,
but I never saw it appear.  I'm on the digest)

Hi Everyone:

I'm building a web site where a client logs into an account
and enters transactions.  Once a transaction is entered by a
client, the client always has access to that transaction.
The client can attach (upload) files to a transaction.

I want a client to only see files attached to a transaction that
the client can access.

I don't want a client to be able to see files they don't
have access to.

A client is only shown files attached to their own transactions,
but I don't want someone sneaking around.

my Q is:

what is the best way (easy and secure) to setup the directory
and name the files?

2 thoughts are:
1. put all the files in the same directory and name them:
   File.ttttt.xxx.doc

where ttttt is the transaction number and
      xxx is the document number for each file (001, 002, etc.)
pros: easy to manage.
cons: someone could guess a transaction and document number here that
they should not see.

2. setup a separate directory for each client and name them:
   same as in #1

pros: easy to manage.
cons: someone could guess a directory, transaction and document number here
that
they should not see.

any suggestions?

tia