I don't know if this is exactly your problem, but the string formatting
of dates is controlled by the "locale" of the oracle server.  It could
be set for a locale that just returns this.

What we generally do for Oracle dates using native drivers is to turn
the dates into a string when we select them:

SELECT TO_CHAR(YourDateField, "MM/DD/YYYY HH24:MI:SS") AS YourDateField,

This way, we can format the dates exactly how we expect them to be.