Check out this site:

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dowdell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 3:37 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: Passing values to Flash

At 7:57 PM 2/13/1, Kinley Pon wrote:
>Is there a way to pass or set values to variables within a flash clip for
>example if I set the GET URL as
>www.blabblah.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=login&loginID=#LoginID#&password=#pas
>word#.

I'm just getting up to speed in this particular area myself (so apologies
in advance if I say something dumb ;-), but in this case the URL with its
CF properties would not be available in the text file which ColdFusion
processes on the server.

(Rephrased, that dynamic address is embedded in the SWF, inaccessible to
ColdFusion. The Macromedia Flash Player would send the literal "#LoginID#"
phrase to the server, which could likely not be processed as part of an
address.)

What you *could* do would be to dynamically construct the complete URL
query within the SWF file, and then submit these to the server... there
wouldn't be a CF-level term like "#LoginID#" within this SWF movie, but you
could certainly have a Flash-level textfield named "loginField" and pass
its value along in the URL.

Does this help at all in that project there, or am I focusing on something
different than what you're trying to achieve...?

> I purchased 5 different books on flash 4 and none of them mentions how I
> can pass a variable or value into the flash clip before it starts playing.

A lot depends on where the information comes from, and at which point you
wish to access it. If the trigger is some user action within the SWF file,
then we can request either remote URL-encoded text via a LoadVariables
call, or XML-formatted data through the XML connectivity.

If you're instead trying to pass data in when the file is delivered, then
the following article has an overview of various methods:
"Different approaches to setting variables in a Macromedia Flash movie"
http://www.macromedia.com/go/14253

jd