I've got the following situation:

A real-estate company wants us to develop a suite of browser based
applications for managing listings, client contact management, billing, etc.
These applications would be used primarily in-house, but could be accessed
by employees working from their homes or while traveling, so I guess the
buzzword to apply to this setup would be 'extranet'.  The dbms that will be
used is MS SQL 7, possibly SQL 2000.

They also have a public website that is on a collocated server in a pricey
colo facility.  They have no desire to bring the hosting of the site onto
their LAN, for many reasons: bandwidth requirements, security, and
reliability of the net connection being foremost.

Now, much of the information being updated on the extranet needs to be
published to the web site (real estate listings) and they want it to get
there in nearly real-time.  When they enter a new listing, they want it on
the public site within the hour.

Would using SQL replication be a good approach in this situation, or would
it be better to have the CF extranet applications somehow directly update
the external db simultaneously?  We're looking into SQL replication to
(hopefully) make the job easier.  One problem with the connection to the
LAN/extranet is that it doesn't have 100% uptime.  It's down maybe 1 hour
per week, so dealing with a loss of connection to the remote server is
something to consider.

Also, can SQL replication replicate only a 'subset' of a database, rather
than having to duplicate the db in it's entirety?  The reason for this
question is that the internal database will contain a lot of fairly
sensitive information, such as customer billing records that need not reside
in the external database.  For security reasons, we'd rather not push that
data to the public database.

Jim