Thanks to all of you who posted replies to this thread. Just to let you know
I've sorted the problem using activePDF and it works like an absolute
dream.... Now I can actually get some sleep tonight :-))

I've managed to create a very basic app that allows a user to submit a word
document via an html/cf form. The document gets uploaded, then converted to
a pdf and saved into a results directory. An entry is made into a database
table and then the user is returned to the list of currently active
documents. Clicking on the title of the uploaded file will open the pdf. At
the moment I'm only running the eval copy of active pdf so the resulting pdf
isn't much use due to the server putting "SAMPLE" across it in big
letters... But then again who cares, that's a job for the cheque book boyz,
the techie part works!

If anyone is interested in seeing the (quick-and-dirty) app I've just
written then let me know off-list and I can give you temporary access to our
development server.

                  -= Ed

Problems cannot be solved at the same
level of awareness which created them.