Did you ever think that this information might be necessary to bill clients? Or to
allocate resources to projects efficiently? Or to make accurate estimates of project
completion dates? Or to forecast hiring needs?

(I'm not saying your manager wasn't an asshole :-) I didn't know the guy. Just that
tracking this information, while annoying, can be very useful, and often meets a lot
of resistance from the 'creative' talent)