You should look at design patterns. The command pattern as it is known is
the most used pattern for undo/ redo operations.
It is used natively in java, but chould be used in a JavaScript lib.

Check out:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201633612/o/qid=984585622/sr=8-1/2
02-1404477-4361464

Justin