When I want to force download of a particluar kind of file, I add/change
the mime type in the webserver, then just cflocate to the file.

For example. For the files on www.digitacamera.com (.csm files), my
mime.types files includes:

type=text/digitascript  exts=csm

Since that's unknown to the browser, it prompts for download...