I've got a data entry application which collects data based on fiscal year.
What are there any benefits of keeping this multi-year data in the same
database vis a vis separating fiscal years into their own databases? I've
always chosen to split up the database -  otherwise you're doubling db size
with little if any interaction with half of it (the old fiscal year), which
considerably slows things down when querying I would think.

The only reason I see to keep the data within one database is for multi-year
research on the data. It seems that quering one database with multiple
fiscal years would be easier than doing union queries across multiple
databases. For this reason I'm considering keeping it all together in one
db. Anyone maintain such a system?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Currently using MS Access and eventually
migrating to SQL Server.

Thanks,
Andy