We have a system where users have access privledges and roles.  The access
privledges control what pages the users have access to and can even control
what they can and cannot do in a particular page.  The roles control what
groups of access privledges the user has at any given time.  A single user
can have more than one role (administrator, guardian, staff, student, etc.)
and switch between them at will, changing their access priveledges on the
fly.

Using this setup, an administrator can give a trusted parent/guardian a
limited staff role, but only let them update student records, while other
normal staff members can add, update, and delete students, as well as
guardians.  While this person is assuming the role of guardian, they will
only see their own kids, but if they switch their role to staff, then they
will be able to see all of the kids.  They can switch back and forth
whenever they want, as often as they want.

This is accomplished using the access permissions built into the database.
Very little of the security is managed by CF.  We use role based views to
decide what data the user will see.  It's pretty slick and it really takes a
load off of CF and the CF programmer.

Todd Ashworth
Web Application Developer
Network Administrator