At 07:13 PM 4/1/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Sure. I guess you'd have to. Somewhere you're going to have to
>specify which light lamp fits which vehicle. Better than entering a
>zillion different lamps. It looks like it's definitely going to need
>to run on SQL Server since even if you only have 1,000 parts, you're
>probably going to end up with 100,000 entries in the Availability
>table. Especially if you get into selling stuff like lamps and wiper
>blades, etc.

We do it roughly this way:

Tables:
  Make (ford, chevy, etc)
  Model (mustang, corvette)
  Year
Vehicle Attributes (body type, engine size, transmission type, color, etc.)
one record for each attribute about the vehicle that needs to be
described.  This will be different for each vehicle.  Primary key for this
table is makeid, modelid, year, vehicleattributeid
Vehicle Data
(each record has two fields, the vehicleattributeid and the data for that
attribute)
Product (sku, price, manufacturer, etc)
Product Attributes (description, shape, color, etc)
one record for each attribute about the product that needs to be
described.  This will be different for each vehicle.  Primary key for this
table is skuid, , productattributeid
Product Data (headlight, square, white, etc)
(each record has two fields, the productattributeid and the data for that
attribute)
Vehicle/Product relational table (many-to-many relationship)