It's only useless on a select box with a size of 1.  On a select box
with a size greater then 1, it works fine, and is useful.

What you could do, is crib the CFSELECT validation Javascript, add in
your own code for Single Size Selects, and hook it up to the CFFORM
validation routine, and just use a SELECT and loop over your OPTIONS
instead of using a CFSELECT.