Sent this once already but have not gotten any replies, can anyone help?

A little help please.  I am trying to use some javascript on my CF pages.  I
would like to pass the formname and  fieldname to the function, perform an
action and return the value: i.e.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE = "JavaScript">
<!--
function changevalue(FormName, FieldName)
{
        var oldvalue;
        var newvalue;

        oldvalue = document.FormName.FieldName.value;

        TAKE ACTION HERE

        document.FormName.FieldName.value = newvalue;
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>

The formname and Fieldnames are being passed fine,  but how do I use them.
now oldvalue is being set EQ to "document.FormName.FieldName.value" not the
value of the field ,  how can I get the value from the form field.

If I call the formfield in the function by hardcoding its name I get the
function to work fine, but I would like to re-use this without having to
change the function each time.

Thanks for your help
Rodney