> I've heard a lot of talk about WDDX but i'am unclear as to
> what it is, what is it used for? Can anyone explain? Or recomend
> a site with tutorials and information?

WDDX is an open-source XML DTD originally created by Allaire to describe
generic data objects (arrays, structures, recordsets, strings, numbers,
dates and so forth). You can take an object in CF and use the CFWDDX tag to
create a WDDX packet, which is an XML-compliant document that can be later
deserialized back into a native data object in CF or in other languages.

That's a pretty buzzword-thick explanation, so here's an example. You might
use WDDX to exchange data between servers, by having one server generate
WDDX output when a certain URL is requested, and having another server
request that URL via CFHTTP, then retrieve and deserialize the data. So,
essentially, you could pass the results of a database query between two
servers. You can pass nearly anything you like. That's just one thing you
can do with WDDX.

For more information, visit http://www.openwddx.org/.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/