Paul,

You don't say whether the folks performing this task are using Quark (and
cutting directly from it) or whether they are using linked text files
outside of Quark.

You might want to back up a step, if you still have access to Quark, and
export the text as text. This will strip out all, or at least most,
formatting. I've used this feature in Ventura Publisher for years. I'm not
sure whether Quark allows it, but most DTP packages copy many of Ventura's
features, so it should be available.

If plain text export is not available, another format, like RTF, will be.
Export as HTML would get you close, also.

--John

                    "Paul Sinclair"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     CF-Talk
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    crest.com>               cc:

                                             Subject:     Db to web: Replacing odd
ascii characters in
                    04/24/2001 03:33         db to web

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    cf-talk

I'm managing a site where articles from a magazine are being cut and pasted
into a text entry field. The people doing the actual cut and paste routine
are starting from a Quark file. When they cut the text out of Quark and
into
the db, it is putting in all sorts of strange characters - probably high
ascii characters. When a dynamically created cfm page drawing its content
from the database is displayed, it puts all sorts of heiroglyphics in the
output. For example, apostrophes and emdashes show up as a hollow square -
that sort of thing.

I've tried to do a replace function on the article's body and by and large
it works. But I don't have any way of knowing what kind of odd characters
are going to be in the database so I can't anticipate every odd character.

Is there some way to handle this type problem?

Thanks for any suggestions/solutions.

Paul Sinclair