Thanks Joeseph and Brian, Im really close now....whats happening is the
SubQuery is returning more than 1 row which wont work.  If I put a
MAX(Date1) it works but I get incorrect results.  I get the MAX date for ALL
the REFNO instead of just the single set.  Any ideas how to get around that?
I should have included a better data example prior, I modified it below.

ID      REFNO           DATE1
1       123             04/25/2001
2       123             <null>
3       123             <null>
4       222             04/26/2001
5       222             <null>
6       222             <null>
7       333             04/27/2001
8       333             <null>

So basically I want Null DATE1 for REFNO = 123 to be 04/25/2001 AND the Null
DATE1 for REFNO = 222 to be 04/26/2001.

I have several thousands of records like this and would like to do it in a
single pass, in fact Ill need to run this thing daily.

Im trying this now but get multiple results from the SubQuery:

UPDATE mytable
SET DATE1 = (SELECT DATE1
                 FROM   mytable
                 WHERE  REFNO = REFNO