----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 1:54 PM
Subject: Re: New CF5 Partner Hosting License

> It really depends upon the price, if it's not to expensive, priced similar
> to a CAL for Win2k or thereabouts, this wont be a problem.
> However if the price goes higher than a couple hundred dollars per site it
> no longer is profitable to charge somone a competitive price for a simple
CF
> shoppingcart or message forum on a shared server.

Couple hundred dollars per site!!?  If hosting providers lose the ability to
offer CF hosting at prices comparable to ASP hosting, CF will see a DRAMATIC
loss of users.  How long a time period at $20-$30 per month would it take to
recoup such an investment?  A _long_ damned time.

Many (probably MOST) CF hosts currently can't afford the luxury of CF
Enterprise on all of their shared servers.  They run CF Pro and restrict
what tags can be run on the server.

If we can't even host more than one of our _own_ sites off a CF Pro license,
we'll be sticking at CF 4.x for the time being, while looking at moving to
another technology.

Jim