Billy --
  Thanks... I know that there are a lot of CF purists out there, so I'll
deal with the flak.   The object kinda works.  When first called, I get the
" Object variable or With block variable not set " error.  If you hit
reload, same problem.  But if you wait a few minutes, and then hit reload,
it works.  I really don't know where to turn, and since it works in VB/ASP,
I can't call Microsoft.

The server config is pretty clean/stable:
        Version 4, 5, 1, SP2
        Edition Enterprise
        Operating System Windows NT
        OS Version 4.0, Service Pack 5
        OS Build Number 1381

The VB function is rather simple:
        Public Function Add(ByVal spacket As String) As String
        end function

The ASP code that calls the function is simple too, and never fails:
<%
        set oObj = server.createobject("UDB_Contact.Business")
        strResult = oObj.add(strSource)
%>

The CF code should work the same way, or so I thought:
        <CFOBJECT TYPE="COM" NAME="objContact" CLASS="UDB_Contact.Business">
ACTION="CREATE">
        <CFSET strWDDX_Retval = objContact.Add(strWDDX_Input)>

---
Daniel Dewey                |"Tell me, and I'll forget.
Systems Developer           | Show me, and I may not remember.
MCP (NT srvr/wkstn/eprise)  | Involve me, and I'll understand."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          | - Native American Proverb
http://www.pobox.com/~dewey |                 610-868-1421, x115
           The National Association of Colleges and Employers

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer