I recently picked up a copy of Ben Forta's Certified CF Study Guide.   One
of the last chapters is about speed and optimization, and it states that
IIF(), DE() and Evaluate() are all very slow functions, and while they have
their time and place, can and perhaps should often be avoided (Ben, please
forgive me if I'm misquoting you, I don't have the book in front of me!).

Evan