From: Owens, Howard [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 11:31 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: (sql) Group by Month query

I've been trying to get this group by month query to produced the desired
results.  So far it's not working.

In my database, I have a field called "DateJoined"  This is the actually
date somebody joined, i.e. 1/24/01, 1/22/01, 1/5/01.  In other words, it's
by the day.  Now I want to get a report on how many people joined in Jan.
2001, as well as June 1999, etc.

Here's the latest iteration of my query:

<cfquery name="MonthJoined"
         datasource="#application.DSN#">
SELECT DateJoined, Year(Month(DateJoined)) as MonthCount,
Count(Year(Month(DateJoined))) as MonthJoinedCount
FROM Admin
GROUP BY Month(DateJoined), DateJoined
ORDER BY Count(Month(Year(DateJoined))) DESC
</cfquery>

What I get is something like (using just January as an example):

January 2001: 20
January 2001: 5
January 2001: 34
January 2001: 26

Now the total, if you ad up all of those January 2001s is correct.

But what I need is:

January 2001: 85

I can't figure out why it's not grouping all of the Jan 2001s together (same
goes for other months, other years).

BTW:  I'm using an Access DB.  I tried the query suggestion of at least on
person the list to use DatePart() instead of Month() and using DatePart()
always through an error.  I stumbled across something on the Web where a
person was using Month() in a query, so I tried it and it didn't throw an
error.

H.

Howard Owens
Internet Operations Coordinator