Speaking of security and how to go about fixing here, here is some excellent
advice from people on the lists.....a compilation from my posts last week.

You're not going to like what I have to say, I don't think.

If your server has been compromised, you can't fix it by simply taking it
offline and installing patches. Anything on the server could very well have
been compromised. Ideally, you should wipe the disks, reinstall the OS and
everything else, and restore your application files from a trusted backup.
Otherwise, you can't be sure that other back doors haven't been set up on
the box.

During the reinstall process, you might want to take a look at the following
resources, in addition to everything else that's been suggested:

"Securing Windows NT/2000 Servers for the Internet", Stefan Norberg,
O'Reilly. This is a very good explanation of securing IIS web servers, and
contains good step-by-step instructions.

"Hardening Windows 2000 Guide", available as a PDF download:
http://www.systemexperts.com/win2k/HardenWin2K.html

"Windows NT Security Guidelines", written by Trusted Systems for NSA,
available as a download:
http://www.trustedsystems.com/tss_nsa_guide.htm
This doesn't have too much to do with web services specifically, but
provides a clear description of basic use of ACLs, which is essential for
securing your web server.

Dave Watts [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

I do a security scan of my system every now and again using whisker from RFP
(http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/2/index.asp). I suggest everyone either do the
same or ask someone you trust to do it for you. It takes little time to do
and the rewards could be massive (especially with the supposed cyberwar
coming). Also, run a few searches over your code for things like CFFILE,
CFINCLUDE and other tags that can be used as attack points. A few hours of
code review could save days in code rebuild.
As for how he got in, check all the logs on the box. Look for file gaps to
see if he hacked them to cover his trail. If there are none, then look for
things out of thr ordinary like .dll, .htx or other calls. Between the
system logs, web logs, CF logs and whatever you may find his attack route.
Finally, check out securityfocus.com and the other security sites. They may
know.

Michael Dinowitz [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

ALL of my client sites were hacked and defaced last week - (by Evil
Angelica) - and the only common thread among them was my WS-FTP.INI file.
I would suggest taking a look here to find the common thread, which might
give you a clue:
http://defaced.alldas.de/defaced.php?attacker=PoizonB0x&p=1

Diana Nichols [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

PoisonBox is a rather infamous group of hackers...if they want in, they can
get in. I believe they where the group that bragged of hacking 200+ Chinese
websites recently, and got mentioned in Wired...

Take a look at the time the files were altered, look in your log files
around those times. See if you can find out what urls where requested, or
see of any other abnormal activity was going on.

Make sure all of the below holes are patched or taken care of too.
http://www.wittys.com/files/mab/iis-hacking.html

Jon Hall [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Websites in America and China are the trophies. It's not a 'real war', but
you've got hackers and crackers from both sides hitting the other for
protest points.
As for you ISP, they may say that the security is your problem or they may
not. Best thing to do is make sure your patches are up to date, follow the
proper coding standards so as to not open any holes and keep an eye on some
security lists or sites.

Michael Dinowitz [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Hacking Exposed is a great book to learn about network and computer
security. It covers the basics of hacking and how to protect yourself. It
even has a section on website hacking and uses Cold Fusion as an example. I
would recommend it to anyone interested in securing their server/network.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072127481/o/qid=988661199/sr=8-1/ref
=aps_sr_b_1_1/107-8938936-0034118

Also have a couple of script-kiddie tools I would be happy to run on your
site to check the basics. Send me an email off the list if you are
interested.

Dave Livingston [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

As far as IIS4/5 is concerned, a version not completely up to date (read:
get mail notification of new exploits/patches) is a security hole waiting to
happen, especially if the old pre-asp htr extensions are enabled. Heh, it's
actually still a security hole waiting to happen even patched but that's
just IIS. I'm not overly familiar w/ anything win32 so you might want to
check these sites.

http://www.attrition.org/
http://www.securityfocus.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp