> Sorry for the crosspost (had conflicting answers from other lists)
>
> but is there a consensus on which method of looping over a query
> is fastest?
>
> cfloop or cfoutput..

OK, I know you've posted a "Winner" post, but here's the reasoning behind
why CFOutput is slower than CFLoop

When you run a CFOutput, CF has to look through as see what has to be
converted for "output", i.e. #s around variables etc.

When you run a CFLoop, it just assumes that anything that's a non-CF tag is
to be sent to the browser, and it runs the tags as it reaches them

Ideally, you should put a CFLoop around the code you wish to loop over, and
only put CFOutput around the variables you want outputted - that provides
the best performance on the server (which is probably the most important in
most circumstances)

Although, I don't like using this method for development (it's harder to
read), the performance over many thousands of hits is noticable

HTH

Philip Arnold
Director
Certified ColdFusion Developer