From: "Erika L. Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 10:52 AM
Subject: OT: Data Integrity - Q of the Day

: Here's a question that's been bothersome for some time.
:
: We have an interface where participants register for meeting. There is a
: form they fill out with basic information, including the pharmaceutical
: company they are associated with.
:
: We use drop downs where we can to keep data as constant as possible, but
we
: cannot use dropdowns for the company they are with as there are far too
many
: to compile and list.
:
: And therein lies our problem. Users from one company can have a half dozen
: different ways to spell their company name.
:
: There is an admin search page where an administrator can search for
: registered users by several different criteria, one of which is the user's
: company name. I dynamically build a drop down for this field on the search
: page by pulling all distinct company names from the db. Of course, there
are
: several different variations of the company name in the dropdown, which
: makes it very cumbersome.
:
: Has anyone had to deal with this? If so, how did you deal with it? And/or
: does someone have an idea on how to go about dealing with it?
:
:
: Erika
: (with a *K*)