Heh, Could have saved myself some time by simply RTFM! Never mind, its
always useful to see how someone else architects things:

(From componentkit.pdf)

"Two mechanisms were evaluated for passing information from Macromedia
ColdFusion to Macromedia Flash. One involved passing variables in over the
URL to the Macromedia Flash object. The other involved using the Macromedia
Flash loadVariables command to have each component read information through
a separate HTTP request.

Depending on the browser and operating system, there may be a limit to the
number of characters that can be strung on the end of a SWF's URL, ranging
from 2K to 4K characters. Because of this limitation, our design uses the
Macromedia Flash loadVariables command to pull information from a separate
Macromedia ColdFusion file.

When a Component Kit component is instantiated, Macromedia ColdFusion holds
the parameter information in the Macromedia ColdFusion server scope, loads
the Macromedia Flash movie for the component, and passes a "callback" URL
into the Macromedia Flash movie. This callback URL, which points to
fetchdata.cfm, allows the instantiated Macromedia Flash movie to retrieve
its specific information using Macromedia Flash loadVariables."

Rich Wild
Senior Web Designer

e-mango.com ltd                      Tel: 01202 587 400
Lansdowne Place                      Fax: 01202 587 401
17 Holdenhurst Road
Bournemouth                   Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
BH8 8EW, UK                      http://www.e-mango.com
This message may contain information which is legally
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of this information is strictly prohibited. Such
notification notwithstanding, any comments, opinions,
information or conclusions expressed in this message
are those of the originator, not of e-mango.com ltd,
unless otherwise explicitly and independently indicated
by an authorised representative of e-mango.com ltd.