From: Dick Applebaum [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 11 May 2001 16:43
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: using WDDX for next 'n' style browsing

I waited a while before weighing in on this, but here goes...

<rant>

I hate to see this type of design, where large amounts of data (most
of it, probably, unneeded) are schlepped back and forth along the
highway we call the internet.  It clogs the net with [largely]
unnecessary traffic.

Further, the verbosity of WDDX packets only exacerbates the problem
by increasing the amount of the data sent (over and over and over...)

Look at a WDDX Packet and you will see it's size is many times larger
than the actual data content.

Don't get me wrong, I use WDDX every day, and used properly it is a
valuable tool...

But, WDDX is not meant to be an extension of the client/server system bus.

</rant>

Use CF to cache your queries at the server

in your CF program select only the required rows, and send them to the
client

If you want to improve this more, write a Flash front end for the
client so that only the field names and data need to be sent to the
client (eliminates retransmitting the entire HTML document)

I think you will experience an overall performance improvement and
better use of the server, internet connection, and the client...

..... kind of an *environmentally-friendly* program design!

And, the user experience will be much improved too.

Dick