Sorry to the list, but when I, or my company, is questioned in public, I
feel a need to respond in kind.  If you aren't interested in any of this,
please delete this conversation now and move along :)

If you are still reading, please understand that Mike and I have
communicated after he posted this and before I responded to his post.  This
is not anything personal towards him and should not be taken as such.

<To Mike>

> SITES BACK TOGETHER ... IT"S BEEN NEARLY 2 WEEKS NOW SINCE YOU BROKE
> EVERYTHING ...

Your sites aren't technicly broken.  Both of your sites have been up since
the middle of last week.  *We* were down for about 30 minutes during a T1
switchover/router reconfig which was done in the middle of the night for
Australia.  The phone company was screwed up for about 6 hours after that ..
which we couldn't help.  Our upstream was messed up for 1 1/2 days after
*that* .. which we couldn't help.  The physical connection that affected you
was back up less than 2 days after we went down.  The rest of our down time
was due to Register.com being totaly clueless and very slow .. which we
couldn't help and I even forwarded all correspoandance between myself and
Register.com trying to get the problem fixed, to you.  We did all we could
the first 30 minutes .. 99% of the rest of the time, we were waiting on
other people, just as you were waiting on us.

>  I STILL HAVE ONLY ONE SITE UP AGAIN

The reason one of your sites "dissapeared" was because I switched both of
your sites over to the same IP address and used host headers to
differenciate them.  I was not aware that you still had one of your sites on
another provider and were only using our second IP address to view changes
you were making on a development site.  All you told me was that you wanted
another IP address so that your client could update their own stuff without
having access to yours.  That's fine and understandable and a perfect
justification for a seperate IP address.  I picked a free one and set up FTP
on it so the client would upload heir own information.  No one ever said
anything about the site needing to resolve at that address.  As soon as I
got an E-mail to the contrary, I immediately set up the IP address to point
to your web site as well as the FTP site.  It should have taken effect
instantly .. if not, let me know .. It works on our end.

> HEY I"VE BEEN ASKING FOR A WEEK  . . .   I NEED THE INFORMATION YOU
> PROMISED TO GET MY SITES GOING AGAIN

I misunderstood your request for a list of E-mail addresses on our mail
server.  I just gave you the list of the ones we have set up.  I did not
send anything further because that's all of the information I thought I had
to send, as I understood your request.  I did not understand that you wanted
to know what addresses they forwarded too as well.  The changes we made have
no affect on the E-mail forwarding, aside from the time the server was down
durring the outage.  If that's what you were wanting to check, then I can
save you some time.  I had already gotten traffic from people on your list
E-mailing the postmaster about some things and discussing amongst
themselves.

> How long would the rest of you tolerate your hosting company having your
> site broken?   15 minutes?  30minutes?   How about 2 weeks??????

Like I said, our part in the down time lasted only 30 minutes (time enough
to request the final changes to Register.com and reconfigure the router) ..
everything else was a very unfortunate series of technical problems among
our upstream, the telco, and recently, a few misunderstandings on my part.
I am appologising, but I'm not making excuses .. only explaining the events
as they happened, hoping you will understand our position in all of this.

> And he has time to work on developing pages while my fricken sites are
down!!!! MY
> GAWD!

I am not the only developer in the company, but I am the lead CF developer
and the only one who monitors the CF lists.  So, when the other developers
come to me with a question that I can't answer, I pause for a moment and ask
the CF-Talk list and then go back to what I was doing, while waiting for an
answer.  Also, a lot of the things I do on the website hosting side of
things, involve me making a change and then waiting anywhere from 5 minutes
to 24 hours for the changes to take effect .. depending .. especially in the
case of DNS changes.

I can understand how waiting is very annoying.  Still, you've had constant
contact with me.  I've always, personally, answered your E-mail within 24
hours (less than 8 hours 80% of the time and less than 3 hours 65% of the
time).  Durring the outage (specifficly the 4 or 5 days when things were
down beyond our control, due to Register.com), I remember spending 20
minutes answering one of your E-mails at 4 AM, my time, both because I was
up checking on things constantly, since I was getting very worried about the
whole situation, and because I knew you deserved an explanation which, I
freely admit, we should have provided sooner.

Please don't think that I just sit around all the time not caring what
happens to our hosting customers with a "Scew it!  I'll do it when I get
around to it whenever I feel like it!" attitude.  Durring the
afformentioned, very, nasty outage, I gave a few customers my home phone
number so they could contact me, personally, after 'normal' work hours if
they needed/wanted to.

So .. as an aside to "How long would the rest of you tolerate your hosting
company having your site broken?   15 minutes?  30minutes?   How about 2
weeks....", how many web hosts do you know that give you direct access to
the network administrator who would also give out his home phone number to
some clients when things got rough?

</To Mike>

Like I said before, this is NOT an attack against Mike.  He has a *very*
legitimate complaint and I don't blame him for getting frustrated with the
whole mess.  I just wanted to represent our point of view.

Mike, if you have anymore concerns, contact me directly, either through
E-mail, or through the toll free number and personal extension, which I will
provide if you want it.  I don't mind you posting complaints to the list
(all is fair, afterall, other than the off-topic nature), but a lot of
times, due to the nature of the lists, I don't get any of the E-mails until
several hours after they have been posted.  I'd rather address your concerns
sooner than later.

I just don't want there to be any more misunderstandings.

Todd Ashworth
Certified ColdFusion Developer
Network Administrator

Saber Corporation