Instead of opening a new window, why don't you use an onUnload or
onBeforeUnload event in the body tag to close the session?  This script from
MSDN worked in IE5.5 for me and supposedly it works in IE4+.

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT>
function closeIt()
  {
   // enter your close session script here
    event.returnValue = "Any string value here will force a dialog box to
appear before closing the window.";
 alert("alert");
  }
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY onbeforeunload="closeIt()">
<P>Navigate to another page to fire the before unload event.
</BODY>
</HTML>

Bonnie E. Betts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]