Try "purging" both collections before you update them.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 18 May, 2001 5:25 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Verity: Hair-Pulling Problem

I'm losing hair (and time!) over a very frustrating problem using
Verity with CF.

I have an application that uses two Verity collections. I can
successfully create the first collection and retrieve info from it, and
can then do the same with the second collection. However, when I
messages are generated in file/sysinfo.log:
--------------------------------------
Thu May 17 23:43:05 2001
msg(1): Error   E3-0422 (VDK 2): Could not find file Page_338.htm

Thu May 17 23:43:05 2001
msg(1): Error   E3-0032 (VDK): No valid documents found in
C:\WINNT\CFI70CB.tmp for collection
E:\Web\worldwideguide\guides\verity\Guide_2_Pages\file
--------------------------------------
The contents of this update also do not show up in searches.

The problem is at least consistent, now that I've figured out what's
actually happening. I feel confident of my code, as I have brought
all the steps together into a single template for testing purposes,
and simply pass a few URL variables to change collections, specify
documents, etc. Adding documents initially works fine in both
collections, but whenever I return to the collection I created first,
updates there invariably fail and produce the messages shown
above, EVEN if the update involves the exact same content that
was successfully added or updated during the first round.

I could conceivably work around this by building both collections
one at a time, then deleting and rebuilding the first collection
whenever additional updates are needed there. But the non-
updatable problem would then shift to the second collection, and I'd
have to do a complete rebuild for any updates there. What a
hassle...

I should mention that this code is for a spider-type search engine
I've built, which retrieves external Web pages via CFHTTP, indexes
them and then places a META redirect in a text file which is keyed
to that record in Verity. Seems to work great except for this
bugaboo...

Any ideas greatly appreciated...

Gene Kraybill
LPW & Associates LLC