From: Planet CF [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 1:33 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: CF_MAGIC tag!!!!

Hi All,
I faced a very strange coding experience. I have a tag
with a single line comment in it. There is absolutely
no code inside it. So essentially it is an empty tag.
I call this the magic tag.

On my current project, I have a custom tag that builds
an HTML table dynamically based on a query. And this
tag has a lot of other business logic code that is
being called. It used to take 20 seconds (yes! 20
seconds) to build the table. I call this the snail
tag.

I wrapped all the code in the snail tag using the
magic tag. So the snail tag looks like this

<cf_magictag>

all the business logic and the loop around the query
to build the dynamic HTML table

</cf_magictag>

The time taken reduced to less than 2 seconds (yes!
less than 2 seconds). Now you know why I called is the
magic tag!!!

How does this happen?  Does anyone have an
explanation?

Thanks
Kedar Desai