> (b)   The hosting company has a fetish for security and has
> closed off CFRegistry, CFFile, CFDirectory etc, so I can't
> imagine they'll let me use the registry for storing client
> variables. (I've asked but not had a reply yet)

I'd hope they'd say no - you don't want to store variables there in any
case.

> Therefore I'll need to be storing client variables in the
> SQLServer7 database - should I use the central datasource
> for it or my own datasource? Are there issues here I need
> to take into account?

Not really. It doesn't make any difference that I've noticed. I prefer to
have separate databases for application data, but there's nothing to stop
you from using one database for both application data and client variables.

> ( c )   aside from these issues,  if I just change all my
> session. scope variables to client scope, is that going to
> take care of most of the issues involved in keeping security
> and tracking users round the site? Or are there other matters
> I need to take into account now too?

If you're storing lots of data in the session scope, you might run into
problems when you use the client scope instead, because that means more
traffic between the app server and the database server. If you're storing
any complex objects, for example, you might think that you could simply
convert them to WDDX, then store that in the client scope - and you can do
that, but it may very well drag your performance down to an intolerable
level.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496