David,

You got that error because Excel is not registered on your server.  Assuming
that Excel is in fact installed on your server, you can register it by
following the directions at
http://www.cfcomet.com/cfcomet/Other/index.cfm?ArticleID=32381637-0922-41CA-
BBE305C2D66A7025#2.

Note that this technique creates an Excel file on the server, which users can
then download.  A simpler method is to use CFCONTENT and CFHEADER to send the
data to the Excel application on your users' machines.

-David