To clarify a little more, there are differences:
    ColdFusion traverses up the directory tree to find the Application.cfm .
    ColdFusion looks for OnRequestEnd.cfm in the directory where it found
the Application.cfm , but does not do any further searching.

   If it didn't find the Application.cfm, it won't look for OnRequestEnd.cfm .

   To the original poster, OnRequestEnd is documented, but rarely used.