We are using connectstring to connect to an ODBC database.  It works fine
unless the connectstring that gets passed has incorrect data in it.  If that
happens, the connection just hangs and doesn't time out .. at least not for
a long time.  Once we get 5 of these in a row, it's bye-bye CF server until
the service is restarted.  This is driving me crazy.  I can't figure out why
this is happening.  Does anyone know exactly how CF and the connectstring
and the database interract?  Is there a way to force either CF or the
database to throw an error instead of just locking a process and sitting
there forever?  Here's what I get in my log file:

      2001-07-13
       15:40:54
       Information
       538

The ColdFusion Application Server started.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:48
       Error
       438

ExprParser: CFuncIsDefined::DoIt: unknown

        2001-07-13
       15:40:48
       Fatal
       438

Unknown error threshold reached. Restarting service.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:28
       Error
       479

        !!  CFTrace::logThread(113) has no entry for thread 113

        2001-07-13
       15:40:28
       Warning
       479

A request exceeded the timeout. The unresponsive thread count is up to 1.
[C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\gymtime_2\index.cfm]

        2001-07-13
       15:40:18
       Error
       438

Unable to write reply -- client browser stopped waiting for request.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:18
       Error
       438

Windows NT error number 109 occurred.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:18
       Error
       438

Error number 232 occurred attempting to close connection to web server.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:18
       Warning
       438

Template: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\index.cfm, Ran: 19 seconds.

        2001-07-13
       15:40:18
       Error
       438

Windows NT error number 232 occurred.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:29
       Warning
       113

Template: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\index.cfm, Ran: 24 seconds.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:08
       Error
       245

Unable to write reply -- client browser stopped waiting for request.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:08
       Error
       245

Windows NT error number 109 occurred.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:08
       Error
       245

Error number 232 occurred attempting to close connection to web server.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:08
       Warning
       245

Template: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\index.cfm, Ran: 27 seconds.

        2001-07-13
       15:37:08
       Error
       245

Windows NT error number 232 occurred.

        2001-07-13
       15:33:27
       Information
       443

The ColdFusion Application Server started.

Based on that, I can't really tell which service is causing the problem, the
database or CF.  The database engine doesn't seem to be affected by any of
this, so I'm thinking it's something to do with CF.

I'm running CF 5 on NT 4.0 Service pack 6 with IIS 4
The database is Sybase ASA 7.03 running on Win2k Pro Service pack 2
The 2 machines communicate over NetBIOS
My connectstring looks like this
"uid=username;pwd=password;dbf=e:\path\to\database\databasefile.db;eng=dbeng
inename;links=netbios;astop=true;astart=false;"

The connectstring works fine as long as there is nothing wrong with it.
But, even if something as simple as the username or password is wrong, it
causes a thread to hang.

Help?

Todd