I think I just had a page and a half of coldfusion code which generated 5
random numbers reduced to a single SQL statement.  Before I choke on a
green pepper from my subway sandwhich, can you tell me how the newid
function in SQL works?  I ran a test of select top 1000 and did not get any
duplicates (verified in access).  Will the SQL statement below always be
unique values? If it did not generate unique values for some reason I would
assume select distinct top 1000 would ensure uniqueness.  My real question
is: How does the newid function in SQL always know to pull 5 random numbers
each time.  It seems as though if you ran the query twice in a row you
would get the same top 5, but you dont.

CC

"Cruz, Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 08/01/2001 01:58:17 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]