You didn't mention what version of CF you're using, but lemme guess:
4.5.x, right?

I know that in 4.5.x CFHTTP is very picky about the MIME type that's
returned by the server.  If it's one of the few (like text/plain or
text/html) that CFHTTP thinks is plain text, then you can use CFHTTP
with no problem.  But since the MIME type for WAP stuff is something
like x-wap/vml (or something...  I know that's not right, but I'm too
lazy to look it up right now), CFHTTP assumes that since the MIME type
isn't in its text-only list, it must be binary content.  Since CF can't
deal with binary data, CFHTTP refuses to give you the content of the
HTTP response, even tho it's really plain text.

I don't know if that's been fixed in CF 5.0, but I've noticed a number
of other CFHTTP quirks in 5, so I doubt it...

The work around is to use CFHTTP to directly save the content to a file
(using the FILE parameter), then use CFFILE to read that file back into
a CF variable.  It's a nasty performance hit just to get around a CF
bug, but to the best of my knowledge, it's the only thing you can do.

Best regards,
Zac Bedell