Thx Dave.  Looks like your original answer and my question came in right at about the
same time.

Nice to have this finally clarified.  Have been using duplicate to be on the safe side.

Is there a performance penalty associated w/using the function?  Typically I only use
3 or 4 session vars w/simple strings if used at all, tho' they're often duped in
application.cfm, so if I can speed things up...

--Matt--

from: Dave Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:45:22 -0400

> Aren't all session vars stored as structures, regardless of
> their actual contents?  Wouldn't this necessitate duplicate()
> everywhere regardless of var contents?

If you want to pass the session variable itself (with its contents) by
value, you'd need to use Duplicate. If you want to pass a simple variable
contained within a structure by value, you don't need to use Duplicate.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444