The double content types are there for a reason:  when you send a
"multipart/alternative" email, the text version is seen by email readers
that don't read the html versions (I don't know of any offhand, but they
seem to work fine with these headers.)  The HTML version is seen by Outlook
Express, Outlook , Eudora Light, Eudora Pro, Netscape Messenger, etc.  The
image in embedded and is seen as an embedded image in readers like these
(except for Eudora light) that can display an image.  Because of the
multipart header, other email readers will interpret the image as an
attachment.  After sending out hundreds of thousands of messages, we've
found that these headers are compatible with a wide variety of readers.
I've even added a third type-- text/x-aol for AOL versions 5 and sooner,
although I usually send those out separately with no alternative versions.

tom