----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim McAtee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: Marking Email Messages 'Read' with CFPOP

> Howie,
>
> When a client such as Outlook Express retrieves messages or headers from a
> POP server, does it download all available mail headers, or is there
> somethin in the POP protocol that allows the client to say "only send me all
> messages in the mailbox after XXXXXXXXX"?

A typical pop transaction is:

- user connects
- user authenticates

at this point the transaction depends on the particular client (outlook, eudora, etc)
but, basically, the pop client needs a list of
waiting mail.  It can use the LIST or UIDL for this.

Once the client has the list it then proceeds to download and delete each one in turn.

Example:

list
+OK 2 23456
retr 1
--- mail is received here ---
dele 1
retr 2
--- mail is received here ---
dele 2
quit

In the example above, the user had 2 messages totalling 23,456 bytes.

Now, some clients can do some fancy things with the UIDL command (this provides a list
of unique identifiers for the mail on the pop
server).  Using the uidl you can keep track of messages without actually deleting them
from the server.

You could also retrieve the headers from each waiting mail and then decode the date
header for each and retrieve only those for a
certain date range.  This is not the easiest thing to do (parsing the date header can
be a chore).  However, the most important
thing to remember about the pop protocol is that it was designed to be a message
download mechanism and not a way to manage emails
on the server.

> In CF 5, has Macromedia enhanced the CFPOP tag to allow it to identify
> messages on the server using the server's unique message id?  This
> shortcoming seems to me to keep a developer from writing a robust web mail
> application using CFPOP.

Actually, getting the unique ID opens up things for you - you can keep track of the
individual messages on the pop server that way.

A small example:

The web mail connects to the server (user has no current web mail messages).  The
server gives a list of two waiting mails with
unique IDs of 100 and 101.  So, you download these with pop but do not delete them (so
they are still on the server).  The user now
has a copy of the messages in the web mail client.  Later on, you get a list of 4
messages: 100, 101, 150, 151.  Now, since you have
the first two already, you download the last two.

In this way you are not deleting the messages from the pop server.  A user on the road
could read messages but still have them when
he gets back to the office.  You can also delete the messages from the server if the
user opts to from the web mail client.

HTH,

Howie